Researchers design circuits capable of functioning at 650F

Post here if it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Researchers design circuits capable of functioning at 650F

Post by Chuckt » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:24 am

Researchers design circuits capable of functioning at temperatures greater than 650 degrees fahrenheit

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2014-06-circuits-c ... r.html#jCp

Garth
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Re: Researchers design circuits capable of functioning at 65

Post by Garth » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:56 am

Where I worked in the mid-1980's, I sometimes had to use an infrared microscope to take the temperatures of uncovered silicon transistor dice when they were dissipating as much as hundreds of watts, and at one point saw a transistor actually operating (ie, not just in storage or being soldered) at over 350 degrees C, which is 660 degrees F. Its life would have been very short operating at that temperature (unlike that of the ones in the link), but the heat did not suddenly destroy it. I tell people this when they're afraid of damaging an IC with heat by soldering.

Having the silicon carbide circuits they're talking about in the article will definitely help get the heat out without large heat sinks, and help survive high-temperature environments.
http://WilsonMinesCo.com/ lots of 6502 resources

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Researchers design circuits capable of functioning at 65

Post by brad » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:57 am

The fans on my macbook laptop kick in to overdrive if the cpu temp gets to around 85 degrees celsius and certain parts of the laptop are quite hot to touch. I could just imagine how hot the laptop would get if the cpu was allowed to go over 300 degrees celsius!

Further to what you were saying Garth, I have been working on a project which has undergone about three PCB revisions. the microcontroller I am using is surface mounted and each time I get a new PCB made up, I put the old assembled board in the reflow oven to desolder the microcontroller. I have done this numerous times and the microcontroller doesn't seem to mind :)