Why do we use a microcontroller to make things blink?

Post here if it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Why do we use a microcontroller to make things blink?

Post by Chuckt » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:32 am

If all you need are 4 resistors, 2 capacitors, and 2 transistors to make a few things blink, do we really need microcontrollers? Wouldn't this be cheaper?

Wouldn't it be better for others to teach discreet components and give people a better understanding of electronics than to lose that understanding and teach using a $30 microcontroller like Arduino?

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Why do we use a microcontroller to make things blink?

Post by brad » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:00 pm

You are correct it would be cheaper!

However you could also go cheaper again and just buy one of those LED's with the flashing circuitry built into the LED silicon.

So I guess my answer would be that we use micro controllers to flash LED's as a stepping stone to bigger and better things, of course it is extremely helpful to know about all other discrete components too :)