Kickstarter's Poor Record in Tech

Post here if it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Kickstarter's Poor Record in Tech

Post by Chuckt » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:39 pm

I didn't pledge any money that I was afraid to lose. Since then I bought a Samsung Avant budget phone that has the ability to go in ultra low power saving mode. Right now my battery is at 81% and the estimated max standby time is 9.1 days. At 100% battery, it is estimated I can have battery power for 11.2 days.

Before our community lost power for three to four days due to an ice storm, I have been thinking about being better prepared and because I have become prepared, we were able to lend our emergency portable heaters temporarily to a family that didn't have heat.

Thank you for the Duracell PDF. We bought batteries 12 miles away during the last ice storm because emergency supplies sell out. I am not desperate but I have been looking for different options and I keep lantern batteries on hand. And I have learned some lessons.

I believe there are opportunities in electronics for emergency products.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/Ice- ... tages.html

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20140 ... ponse.html

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by brad » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:51 pm

Well it doesn't get that cold here I must admit! I think the coldest it has been this year is minus 3 degrees C. We don't get snow where I live so I guess we're pretty safe as far as snow storms go although we did have flooding two years in a row back in 2010 / 2011 :)

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:33 pm

What happened is we saw lights from the windows and that was the transformers going and the rest of the grid somehow tries to handle the load and if it cannot, the other transformers go. It didn't matter how much repair the crews made from the Sandy hurricane. I also think the electric company testified that it would cost too much to put the wires underground.

The heat in the houses dropped ten degrees a day and when it is that cold, we think people can get frostbite in their homes. With all the motels and hotels, there weren't any available so where do you put half a million people? Crews came in from other states to do repairs. This is where your family, friends and neighbors come in to help. We heard the hum of generators at night in pitch black.

From a repair point of view, crews drive along the wires on telephone poles for miles until they find a break and I still had to goto work.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:57 pm

Wow, that is just foreign to me! I just can't quite imagine it being that cold and having that much snow and ice! You would certainly want to be prepared wouldn't you.

Garth
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Garth » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:16 am

I read that it took so long to get the power back up because of the fed gov getting involved and shooing away electrical workers that weren't with the labor unions & such. Union corruption.
http://WilsonMinesCo.com/ lots of 6502 resources

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:55 pm

brad wrote:Can I ask what the project was that you backed?
I backed another kickstarter campaign that I haven't told anyone about and I don't wish to shame them so I won't say their name. They are still trying to make good or refund what they can to us but they are dealing with an unexpected loss of a lot of money. Even though they have "good intentions", you can't always trust people or businesses in other countries to manufacture for you. I guess this is why Kickstarter had wisdom in saying "This is not a store."

My record of getting my reward on Kickstarter stands at 50/50 or 75/100 until we see what happens.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:59 pm

I guess I can only state it again. People simply go into a Kickstarter project without really realising all the hiccups that can potentially come their way. That's why I like to stick to mainly simple circuit board type kickstarter projects!

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:58 pm

brad wrote:I guess I can only state it again. People simply go into a Kickstarter project without really realising all the hiccups that can potentially come their way. That's why I like to stick to mainly simple circuit board type kickstarter projects!
In real life, I would go to an investor and he or she would say, "no" or "it is going to cost you an arm and a leg". Without an audience, the investor would say, "no" and you would have to find a way to get it onto store shelves or sell it online. Or the investor would say, "yes" and make it unaffordable to most people who would buy it.

By seeking investors from potential buyers, we don't have enough influence to change their business rules in whom they deal with. Someone from their company trusts a shady individual with enough money to buy a house to do production with and that individual doesn't give the money back. Maybe the truth is that the maker took a loan with our kickstarter money.

Kickstarter has fancy presentations and the products look good. Unless we know the person or unless the kickstarter has a proven track record, the failure rate is about 50% and should be unacceptable to everyone.

Unless I know someone or unless I have been given a product from a successful kickstarter, I won't pledge and buy anything anymore.

For Kickstarter to be honest, they have to tell us what the real failure rate is, who sellers are trusting, etc.

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Scammers on Kickstarter?

Post by Chuckt » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:03 am

Scammers on Kickstarter?

It is past December when they suggested we would get a refund. Some of the users in the comment say they are scammers that got users before with a failed iPhone case:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/un ... ts/1348443

Their business website went 404 (unavailable) and their domain is suspended. If you read the comments, some are saying that Kickstarter is not responding to customers.

May the person who pledges think twice and go with designers who have faithfully delivered in the past.