Arduino Unwrapping / Introduction by Chuckt

Post here if it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Arduino Unwrapping / Introduction by Chuckt

Post by Chuckt » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:47 pm

I'm a total newbie who doesn't know a lot as I have never programmed microcontrollers. I have only programmed computers. I started on the Parallax Propeller but the manual for the editor was about 30 pages and then they told me I should have started with another kit when they could have just made the manual for beginners. Then I saw Brad's Projects and then I ordered a Pikit 2 and some free Pics (samples). The website was down for a while and I had only copied the projects into Microsoft Word but I didn't save the code for some reason so I didn't get started. I then ordered "What is a Microcontroller?" from Parallax but I didn't get a chance to use it. All of the forum help on Parallax's website didn't help me get started. The other problem is that when you have children and are married, you can live a pretty busy life and I couldn't read two pages without getting interrupted a lot and there were other things going on. I kept reading what I could on the internet and there was this beginner platform called the Arduino which everyone makes fun of but if you don't know anything then this may be a good place to start. The Arduino has a lot of free tutorials on the web and some of them are short so if you have time constraints and don't know a lot like me then it starts to look attractive. The second reason I chose Arduino was the idea that I could learn on this platform and possibly translate the knowledge I learned to other platforms I want to use.

A little history about me.

I started programming on a Commodore 64 and Commodore made some nice machines but the company went bankrupt. It has been probably 25 years and I don't like what has become of a lot of computers so I decided to see what I could do with microcontrollers to help create the kind of computers I want to use. This is a totally bold idea to do something I never did before because I don't know a lot about electronics and I haven't programmed chips at the bare (minimum) metal. There were some LCD displays that I would need to use to begin and Arduino had the most tutorials for them so I bought my first Arduino. Money and time is a constraint as I will slow down until I can afford the next part and a lot of what I want to do will seem impossible. Learning is something I have to make time for so I may not get a lot accomplished. After spending approximately two years researching different parts, I have become bored whereas some of my other priorities have also changed.

The following is a picture of the top of my Arduino. I'm sure you've all seen pictures of them before. I tried taking about 30 pictures until I got some half decent ones.
Arduino Intro 020.jpg
Arduino Intro 020.jpg (313.44 KiB) Viewed 11686 times
The next picture is the bottom of my Arduino board. There are four rubber stick on feet that I have to figure out where to apply to the board but it isn't something that I'm going to do right away as I don't need them yet. I haven't tried my Arduino yet and it is basically going to stay in the box for a while.

As I said before, the Arduino box reminds me of those crayons they give kids in restaurants. We would go to a restaurant and they would give us four crayons in a box. The Arduino came in a box with a seal and it is only slightly larger than a box with four crayons. The box isn't even 3/4ths of an inch tall. The box is 3 inches by 2 and 1/4 inches.
Arduino Intro 019.jpg
Arduino Intro 019.jpg (334.26 KiB) Viewed 11686 times
What is a microcontroller worth? If manuals are only written for engineers and the average person can't do anything with them then what are they worth for the beginner? Microcontrollers are only worth what you can do with them. It is sort of like gold. When the economy was good, people thought that you could make more money at the stock market so they didn't bother with gold. If you bought gold for $200 an ounce, you probably couldn't sell it at most places because most businesses only wanted to sell it. Now that the economy in my country has hit hard times due to the price of oil, now everyone wants to buy gold because it can retain its value. In other words, gold is only as good as what you can do with it. Before gold was cheap and the average jeweler didn't want it and now everyone wants it. In the same way, microcontrollers are only as good as what you can do with them. If you can do something with them then you create your own demand for them.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Arduino Unwrapping / Introduction by Chuckt

Post by brad » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:56 am

Excellent post Chuck.

Looking forward to what you accomplish with the new platform and I'll even see about opening a new forum dedicated to arduino. I have seen some cool projects made with arduino and have also heard that it is easy to get started with.

Someone actually copied my super pixel bros game and made it with an arduino :)

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:44 am

Right now I'm figuring out how not to blow my board. I could power it off of a wall wart or I could power it off of USB. Or I could power it with a 9 volt battery. Then there are different speeds and how much power each speed consumes so I'm still looking to answers for my question because I read and can't find the information but if I was just to hook up an LED without a limiting resistor, I will blow my board out. I'm still wondering and I'm going to do the work but I'm wondering if I need a different resistor for different voltages and I seem to think that I do but I don't know for sure so I'm looking for the answer. I don't want to give people the wrong answer so I'm going to pause right here. And the funny thing is that the instructions for blinking an LED are for the onboard LED and not an offboard LED:
Arduino UNO Tutorial 1 - Flashing LED

The Arduino UNO already has an led and resistor connected to output pin 13, so we will use that. No other components are required.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:20 pm

Doesn't it have a regulator (most probably 5v) built in?

As for a resistor, you'd be fine putting in around about 330ohms or 470ohms etc...

An LED has a forward voltage drop of around 2v - this leaves 3v for the resistor.

so if you had a 330ohm resistor then you're looking at less than 10mA which is perfectly fine.

3 / 330 = 9.1mA

You certainly don't want to connect an LED without the resistor.

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:25 pm

Thanks Brad.

They told me online that I could use a 220 up to 1K resistor and you are right by saying it has a voltage regulator so I'm fine whether I use USB or a 9 volt battery. They posted a schematic picture so I'm going to see if it is in the public domain.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:59 pm

How did you end up going with this chuck?

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:51 am

Interested in what happend with your Arduino chuck?

(ive got a Arduino Duemilanove)
arduinoDuem.jpg
arduinoDuem.jpg (43.56 KiB) Viewed 11651 times

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:17 am

My Arduino is sitting back in the box right now. I haven't done anything with it. There is too much going on with other activities and family in my life right now. I want to learn the tutorials here when I have time. I want to learn some of the Arduino tutorials. I may go and learn FPGA but I haven't made a decision because I have a child who also wants to learn stuff so we might get a Minimig (Amiga computer clone in FPGA). I feel that I should learn Microchip and stay here because the group is relatively small and I can get some help and hopefully contribute at a later time.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:46 am

We're happy to answer all of your microchip questions!