How handy is the pickit 2 UART tool!

Post here if it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

How handy is the pickit 2 UART tool!

Post by brad » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:37 pm

Have you guys ever used the pickit 2 UART feature?

MAN IT IS HANDY!

I have been using it to help me understand exactly what is going on with my project in order to get it to work as I had planned.

For example, I have been working on a control box that has a 16x2 LCD display and four push buttons. The control box plugs into a big 2m x 2.5m LED display that I made last year for one of the hallways at work. You can control all sorts of functions of the display via the control box such as:
:arrow: change the animation
:arrow: change the speed of animation
:arrow: change the display scan rate
:arrow: change static graphics

You can scroll through a menu system on the control box and then push the OK button to select an option, the box then sends out a command to the display board, once the display board has carried out the command, it will send a completed signal back to the box to confirm that it has been done.

The code has been a little tricky, but the UART tool helps me along the way.

How? you may ask...

Simple, everytime I send out a command to the display, I also send the same info through the UART which will display on my laptop screen exactly what info is being transferred.

Here is a little example:

you can also use it to send data from your computer to the pic to give commands or something like that.

Very handy indeed!
Attachments
uart_animation.gif
uart_animation.gif (83.07 KiB) Viewed 6621 times
uart_tool.PNG
uart_tool.PNG (36.18 KiB) Viewed 6621 times

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable