Rust on Lithium Battery

Post here if it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Rust on Lithium Battery

Post by Chuckt » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:26 pm

I live in a cold part of the hemisphere and we have a humidifier attached to our heater.

I left a 18650 Lithium battery in the basement and it already has rust on the ends.

While people say that lithium batteries are safe because they are sealed, mine already has rust on the ends. But water and lithium don't mix because it causes a chemical reaction and will catch on fire.

I would say the name of the brand but I don't want any litigation.
This also reminds me of my USB wires. I had a USB wire stick outside of my car door and within one shift it rusted.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Rust on Lithium Battery

Post by brad » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:52 am

Have you heard of any explosions due to a build up of rust before?

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:56 am

brad wrote:Have you heard of any explosions due to a build up of rust before?
I'm assuming the actual battery is in a liner. The lithium batteries in the Amazon Kindle are in some kind of liner and are bendable but they are protected in the case. I imagine that having rust compromises the integrity of the battery and I'm not sure how well it is sealed.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:53 am

I would like to think they have some sort of standard for sealing them. Could you imagine what would happen if you dropped your phone in the bath or basin and the water instantly made its way to the inside of the battery.