Selecting a Chromebook

Post here if it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Selecting a Chromebook

Post by Chuckt » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:23 pm

I've been researching Chromebooks. A Chromebook is essentially an internet storage device and works kind of like a laptop except most come without a CD drive. The old Chromebooks may not have had an SD card so you were dependent on Google Drive to get your files off of the internet.

I've had a lot of headaches in researching them because the stores don't consistently advertise the specs and because most people I know and all of the sales people I have met never owned one. One website just gives photos and prices and you are expected to buy. In other words, you are supposed to know the specs because some have touch screens and I really didn't know that HDMI, USB 2.0, USB 3.0 and SD card slots are standard in some models.

Chromebooks can be cheaper than a laptop and they can boot in something like 9 seconds. They are used in middle schools because they can pay for two Chromebooks instead of buying one laptop.

Here is the interesting thing I found. When researching Chromebooks, I found some that accurately said they have emmc memory and others said they have SSD memory. I went to check the store website and it said the Chromebook model which has SSD actually has emmc memory.

I googled emmc memory verses SSD memory and it said that SSD memory is faster than emmc memory. So what gives? Is this false advertising? A store worker said that model has emmc memory instead of an SSD.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Selecting a Chromebook

Post by brad » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:50 pm

emmc is certainly the cheaper of the two memory devices. so if they are advertising it comes with SSD and in fact has emmc, then I would consider that false advertising.

you could actually program arduino's on a chromebook with codebender:

https://codebender.cc/

however they are closing down codebender...