How daredevil Jeb Corliss uses wearable tech to fly like a b

Post here if it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

How daredevil Jeb Corliss uses wearable tech to fly like a b

Post by Chuckt » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:04 pm

How daredevil Jeb Corliss uses wearable tech to fly like a bird
The Human Arrow project is designed to create technology that will allow wingsuit pilots to become more accurate, but in a safer environment. Instead of flying through smaller and smaller holes in cliffs, which will end in death, we designed a target made of paper and fishing line that can be suspended between steel poles as far apart as the pilots would like. This will allow pilots to hit a bullseye four inches in diameter with a GoPro, in a relatively safe environment.
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/sai ... ke-a-bird/

There are a few videos in the video forum here and on the web of his flights.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: How daredevil Jeb Corliss uses wearable tech to fly like

Post by brad » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:58 am

That is fantastic. Another great video to be able to show in my classes, especially since I teach avionics subjects as well!

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:20 pm

brad wrote:That is fantastic. Another great video to be able to show in my classes, especially since I teach avionics subjects as well!
I think wearables for avionics is a more practical role for wearables. I'm lazy so the idea of connecting a fitbit to my computer to find information about myself is not time well spent. There are futuristic articles that you will be required to wear wearables in the workplace so your employer can monitor you or spy on you while others think that people will be using wearables to spy at tech companies. There are also other people betting on wearables to be sold through cosplay.

What I want people to know is whom their audience is. Cosplay is fun for kids but then we grow up and have to dress professionally. You can sell wearables for kids but most adults are not going to dress like it is Halloween every day. I have to make money and I have responsibilities so life is more than play.

If people have a product, know what your audience is. Can you sell toys to adults through cosplay forever? No. Your audience end up growing up, buying a house and then the adults stop buying as many Compact Discs because their property taxes went up and now they have to pay for kids. Wearables are a fad if they are for cosplay and when the economy goes bad, that industry can shrink and when people grow up, that market can disappear and we all know what happened to Radio Shack when they lost several industries like they lost ham radio to the cell phone industry and they lost computers to the business industry. The toy industry lost out and business wins because businesses generate the cash.

I think that fashion like this 3D printed dress is a more healthy outlet or application for wearables than some of the things I am seeing that won't sell to 99% of the public:

Kinematic Petals Dress debuts at MFA
http://n-e-r-v-o-u-s.com/blog/?p=7162

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:15 pm

I wonder how many people will buy those dresses?

I think it is quite hard to figure out exactly what will still be around as the years go by. Sure computers will be around, but what sort of computers? I remember when palmtops used to be quite a big thing in the late 90's but then they died out, then the smaller PDA's came in with little keyboards, then they died out. So companies need to be on the ball with respect to where technology is headed.

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:00 pm

Usually products sell themselves and that dress was fashionable in my opinion.

I remember that Palm died out because they failed to reinvent themselves but I believe there was still a market for them which was taken over by the iPad, Kindle and many tablet like devices. Unfortunately to stay on top of a market, it is very costly to compete.

I bought "Chip" in a Kickstarter and it is has a keyboard. I think it is starting off in Palm's market but I won't compare it to Palm because it is an underdeveloped product.

I did decide to get rid of my Kickstarter account. The reason people need Kickstarters is because they are not in business and need funding. Businesses usually understand that they have to polish your products before they are a commercial product and a lot of people doing Kickstarter products are putting their product out too fast. In business, you have to have the kind of mind that thinks ahead. In any event, I'm going back to just getting commercial products so someone else is going to have to take the risks.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:53 pm

You're right, there are a lot of less than perfect products on Kickstarter. And even though I have run 5 successful campaigns, it is still not easy. There is a lot of work that goes on in the background especially when it comes time to delivering everyones rewards. For someone who has no experience - you want to start out small!