China builds world’s fastest supercomputer without U.S. chip

Post here if it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

China builds world’s fastest supercomputer without U.S. chip

Post by Chuckt » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:50 pm

China builds world’s fastest supercomputer without U.S. chips
There is no U.S.-made system that comes close to the performance of China's new system, the Sunway TaihuLight. Its theoretical peak performance is 124.5 petaflops, according to the latest biannual release today of the world's Top500 supercomputers. It is the first system to exceed 100 petaflops. A petaflop equals one thousand trillion (one quadrillion) sustained floating-point operations per second.
TaihuLight is running "sizeable applications," which include advanced manufacturing, earth systems modeling, life science and big data applications, said Dongarra. This "shows that the system is capable of running real applications and [is] not just a stunt machine," Dongarra said.
http://www.computerworld.com/article/30 ... chips.html

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: China builds world’s fastest supercomputer without U.S.

Post by brad » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:33 pm

Interesting read.

I wonder what the speed difference would have been if they had been allowed to use U.S. chips?

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:47 am

I suppose if they switched from DDR3 memory to DDR4 memory, some processes could be 50% faster.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:47 pm

That's one problem with technology isn't it. As soon as you've built it, it is already out of date!

I read somewhere recently that we are living in the exponential revolution. So things are getting more advanced on a very steep non-linear curve however to be honest, I wouldn't mind seeing things slow down a bit. For example, I use a mac and apple seems to think I need a new operating system each year! I think i'd be perfectly happy with upgrading my OS maybe every 10 years. I think windows XP is still a perfectly useable operating system and that's 15 years old!

jacobcarl

Post by jacobcarl » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:27 pm

Actually More than america China is more advance in Technologies it no surprise in developing chip of their own. China and japan got more intelligent brain :)

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:54 am

Japan bought the processor that a lot of cell phones run on. Can you imagine someone doing this in an all cash deal?

SoftBank to buy UK chip designer ARM in $32 billion cash deal

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-arm-h ... SKCN0ZY03B

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:16 am

32 Billion Dollars, wow!

You would have to be one very profitable company to have that kind of cash!

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:56 pm

brad wrote:32 Billion Dollars, wow!

You would have to be one very profitable company to have that kind of cash!
Their name came up in the news today so they have a lot of cash although they might have less after these two deals.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... obile-deal