POV programming Overview

Post here to discuss the 8x85 RGB LED POV Display.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
22hertz
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

POV programming Overview

Post by 22hertz » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:45 am

Hi all

I am interested in undertaking my first POV project.
For my initial attempt I would prefer to simplify as much as possible.
An AC fan, single color LEDs and a battery powered circuit should allow for a simplified first project.

I am having trouble finding information on how POV works using microcontrollers and LEDs.
What is the overall procedure the mirco needs to perform?
What does the program need to do?
What qualities do a microcontroller need to be suitable for a POV project?

Can anyone help me understand a basic overview of the 'hows' and 'whys' of POV projects and programing?

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: POV programming Overview

Post by brad » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:04 pm

Good questions.

It is very basic really.

You just have a data table stored within the microcontroller and you grab one byte of that data at a time and send it to the LED's. You call a delay so that data stays there for just a split second, then you move onto the very next byte of data, send it to the LED's, hold it for a split second and then move on to the next and so forth.

If you then wave the LED's in the air as they are 'flashing' these different bytes of information, our eyes see a different flash in different positions and as such - it draws an image in the air.

Have you had a read of the 8x85 LED pov display project. I have loads of info written in there about POV displays and the theory behind them.

The good thing is that you don't require much memory or a fancy microcontroller. Any micro with one eight bit port will do just fine!

Let me know how you go with this information.

22hertz

Post by 22hertz » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:19 am

Thanks Brad, that helps.

I'm going to spend some time looking over your code, schematic and explanation on the project.
After I have spent some time studying it all I will post questions of anything I still cant understand.

Thank you for your help Brad

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:13 pm

No problem!

Be sure to let us know how it all comes along