Power Question

Post here to discuss the 8x85 RGB LED POV Display.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
QuakerDeuce
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Power Question

Post by QuakerDeuce » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:59 am

Hi Brad,
Thanks so much for the instructables for the project, everything looks great. I had a quick question about the power. You have mentioned that you need a 7.5V power supply for the board, but that it can be up to 18V. Is there a problem with just attaching a 9V battery to the board itself? This way you could bypass all the power transfer issues.

Thanks!

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Power Question

Post by brad » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:39 am

That would be just fine.

Just connect your 9v battery to the regulator and then you will get a nice steady 5v output.

The power transfer method just gets rid of the problem of the battery going dead.

QuakerDeuce

Post by QuakerDeuce » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:53 am

Ah I see. Thanks for the quick response.

Do you happen to know the speed of your DC motor (rpm's) and the current that it draws?

Thanks!

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:53 pm

I'm not sure how fast the motor spins, I just connected it up to a 12v 1.5A power supply and it spun fast enough to have just about no flicker.

If the image doesn't look quite right, you can adjust the LED on and off times in the included software.

MrDEB
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by MrDEB » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:30 am

Dang It all Now I can't find the link for doing graphics using an EXCEL sheet?
Saw it this morning

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:16 pm