Several questions and problems

Post here to discuss the 8x85 RGB LED POV Display.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Several questions and problems

Post by brad » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:26 am

Are you using one resistor for each LED color like this?
screen-capture.png
screen-capture.png (7.48 KiB) Viewed 24836 times
You need to do this because each LED segment has a different forward voltage drop. When you say that you tru and mix with red, but only the red comes on makes me think that you don't have your resistors like the picture above. Red normally has quite a low forward voltage drop compared to green and blue, so if you try and turn on red and something else - you are actually just connecting two LED's together in parallel. The red will turn on, but since the green or blue is in parallel with the red, there is not enough voltage to turn on the green or blue. Having resistors like that shown above gets rid of this problem.

The pickit2 will always connect to each pic microcontroller in the same way, like this:

Attachments
pickit2_connections.jpg
pickit2_connections.jpg (11.36 KiB) Viewed 24836 times

Fury
semi-newbie
semi-newbie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Fury » Fri May 20, 2011 3:46 am

Hi Brad,

I built the one chip pov, but I finish work correctly, so I'll make a couple of questions about the problems I have come to have if you can tell me more or less to be if you know.

First say that I followed the steps in your explanation instructables.

- First I welded RGB LEDs with their resistance, and then I have positive proof that there was no crossing (2 LEDs at a time) and all worked perfectly.

- Then I put a 40-pin socket for the PIC 18F4680, i on it I welded the terminals of the LEDs on their feet for as shown in shematic.

- Then I connected the hall effect sensor on a breadboard, and I have positive proof that I did move a magnet signal. And then I put it on the plate next to Connect as the shematic PIC.

- I then Connected the engine board montage taking advantage of the 8x85 base that did not work, and I have positive proof that the tension will llegabba both the chip properly, as the hall effect sensor as 5 pins of the PICkit 2.

- Finally I opened the programs that provide on instructables, I've uploaded your image of "demo", I stuck to the Swordfish to convert it to. Hex, and I've programmed with PICCKit 2 v2.5, where I get exactly the same as your instructables photo, with the only difference that instead of 5v Vdd 4.8v I have, but I do not think this is problem.

Having completed the above steps and positive proof over tensions and potential crossings, I connected and not write.

Not if the problem is because I use a power source for both the plate to the engine, yet the tension that comes to me I think it's good, at least I have a pair of LEDs connected directly to the tension as the wheel and light board perfectly.

I have looked all that I know, I do not know what I do not know if something like the program will fail, but I think the programs and transform the image in. Hex complete, and only collect, record and test.

If you know a problem has arisen in this style, and I will look comentamelo have as I can fix it. Because all I see different is that you use 2 independent sources, and also my way of transferring power to the motherboard is a bit ... precarious, so I will look to improve those aspects just in case.

Thanks

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sat May 21, 2011 7:22 am

I use two power supplies because the motor draws so much current that it loads down the power too much to allow the board electronics to work. I guess if you had a more powerful supply, you could certainly power everything from it.

You said that it would not write, could you post a screenshot of what comes up on the screen when you try and connect using the pickit2 software?

Fury
semi-newbie
semi-newbie

Post by Fury » Mon May 23, 2011 12:13 am

I bought another power supply rated at 2A, so that will feed the engine with the 1A and 2A Circuit with.

Then I put a screen on the outcome of the PICkit 2 programming, which I think is going well, so I doubt arise because I do not write the PIC.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Mon May 23, 2011 6:09 am

It looks like the programming of the pic works fine.

So do you now have one power supply for the motor and one power supply for the circuit board?

Fury
semi-newbie
semi-newbie

Post by Fury » Sun May 29, 2011 4:06 am

Hi

After reviewing the track well, the only problem I found is that
hall sensor had fueled by MCLR pin 1 has a resistance of
10Kohm to Vcc, which reduced me to 2.2vy is 5v power sent him to the hall sensor. Now I get the 5v to the sensor.

Even so, the circuit is not writing anything ...

- I get the correct power to all components.
- GND is perfectly united on the circuit.
- The board of LEDs work well because when I made the test mount power LED color LED color to make them work all without crossing the track.
- The PIC is programmed well as I showed on the screen, so that the CIP rule out the disease.

So if it works or should funcionr, the problem must be in the hall sensor which is in charge of ordering the CIP for writing.

As I understand it, correct me if I'm wrong, and that the PIC does not have a D / A converter, the hall sensor sends a 1 or a 0 depending on whether you have a magnet or not, and I suppose this works depending senyal voltage that it sends. But as I have now the circuit, realized as the schematic, the hall sensor is sending a voltage of 4.95v permanently to pin 10 (RE2/CS/AN7/C2OUT) CIP 184680, which does not quite understand, when I imagine I should give stress when they perceive the magnetic field?

Another factor that may be the cause might be. hex, but since I use the serial that came as a sample, and I echo that the program works fine.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Tue May 31, 2011 12:46 pm

What happens to the output of the sensor when you put a magnet near it? does it change from a logic 1 to a logic 0?

Fury
semi-newbie
semi-newbie

Post by Fury » Tue May 31, 2011 9:51 pm

When I test the sensor on the breadboard, the output voltage and draws me when I approached the magnet goes to 0, which gives me a 1 or a 0 logical. In contrast, taking the montage just like on the plate, the sensor did not change from 0 to 1 and always gets me is near the magnet 4.95V or not.

The magnet that is apparently used very powerful because if you hit on some very difficult metal to disengage, but I have to physically touch the sensor so that I make the change from 1 to 0, so that I could erhaps cause problems.

Well, after that everything sanity check fails the circuit appears to work perfectly, the problem can only be programming by subject, so I began to review the steps.

- I PovConverterLong folder.
- Run the PovConverterLong.
- Using the example image I give to Convert.
- Then Get Code and wait until it tells me the data has-been copied to the clipboard.
- Run the SE Swordfish and paste the program.
- Press F9 to compile and gives me no error.
- I open the PICkit 2 v2.50 and record the PIC as you saw on the screen with. hex Swordfish obtained from the previous SE.

So the tension but fails me. The program is correct because it is the standard. The sensor 0v 4.95va passes me when I approached the magnet, a value that I enter the pin 10 (RE2). Senyal Because I do not get the leds? because even sending the 1-0-1-0-1 ... to RE2, the voltage reaching the LEDs is 0.

Therefore, being my 5mm LEDs require a smaller resistance to 100Ohm? I doubt it but to prove something, I do not know what to do to the circuit XD

Thanks.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:06 pm

Well this does sound like quite a big problem. There must be something wrong with the circuit.

Your best bet is to simplify things. Write a simple piece of code that will only turn on the green LEDs (without the need for the sensor) and see that you can get them to work.

Then try the same for the red and then for the blue.

If I have problems like this I always look to go back to the simple things and test each step.

Fury
semi-newbie
semi-newbie

Post by Fury » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:55 am

Is that I have reviewed everything, but I did not do some simple programming. I mounted on a breadboard only PIC with tension, with a 10k resistor to pin 1 Vdd, and a cable to give finishing touches to the Vdd pin to pin 10 player who came out for the pin voltage output signal to the LEDs that not budge, so I insist on Swordfish if the program goes well, because when I open the MPLAB will not let me compile it, and programming in the Swordfish is beyond me and most do not understand XD

I will do as you say a simple program without senyal by the pin 10, but to make it easier, which should touch the generated program with Swordfish series so you will not have need to read the sensor senyal to write. As in the PIC16F628 program where ponia 1 in encendia senyal and always something.

I keep looking anyway possible sources of problems, and your legs do not use the PIC to let the air or GND? because I let them air, good welded to the plate without conectarllas anywhere.

Fury
semi-newbie
semi-newbie

Post by Fury » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:32 am

I think I've found the source of the problem is to kill the store ... RGB LEDs I have are of common anode, common cathode instead of ... tube so much trouble to make them work but I did not realize it ... and so the dough I have in the circuit should actually be food, so I have to buy RGB LEDs common cathode, build and try again.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:46 pm

That does sound like a problem! You certainly will not get the correct results if your anodes and cathodes are back to front :)

Have you ordered new ones yet?