About the components

Post here to discuss the 8x85 RGB LED POV Display.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
filipegaliza
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

About the components

Post by filipegaliza » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:23 pm

Hi Brad,

I'm a rookie in eletronics, and I'm trying to build your 8x85 RGB LED POV Display,
but there's something that I wanna ask you:
Could you tell me where I place each component? (I mean, it could be a image too)
'cause i've only found the PCB layout.

Thanks!

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: About the components

Post by brad » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:05 am

Are you referring to the physical location of the components? What are you mounting them to?

You may actually be interested in another 8 LED POV project that I have made. It does everything that the old one does and more but the best thing is - is that it only uses one chip (instead of seven)

Here's a photo:
screen-capture.png
screen-capture.png (352.02 KiB) Viewed 24573 times
Note: The green circuit board attached to it is optional (it is a wireless module that I was experimenting with)

I will hopefully designing a proper circuit board for this one so people can make it themselves.

filipegaliza

Post by filipegaliza » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:48 am

Wow,
Just one chip!
that's awesome.

When I asked where to place the components, I meant physically, 'cause I have the PCB layout, but I don't know where to weld
the components.

If you have any model of this, could you send me?

Thanks!

bitfogav

Post by bitfogav » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:30 am

I think you mean you would like a schematic of this pov :) I would like to see that too Brad :)

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:45 pm

Well now that you mention it, I have started to design a circuit board for it and will look at getting them professionally made. I will also be replacing the opto sensor with a hall effect sensor which detects when it spins past a magnet instead of a nail passing through a sensor (it's easier to implement this way)

The board is really tiny - the whole thing fits on a 2cm x 6cm board. It uses SMD RGB LED's and a SMD 18f4550 microcontroller. It will probably also use a mini lithium polymer battery with inbuilt mini usb plug so you can charge it.

Here's the progress of the design (front and back):
screen-capture-2.png
screen-capture-2.png (29.57 KiB) Viewed 24561 times
screen-capture-1.png
screen-capture-1.png (30.04 KiB) Viewed 24561 times

filipegaliza

Post by filipegaliza » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:56 am

This one is the "only 1 chip pov" right?

At the site you released the PCB layouts (it was 5 or 6 layouts)
Do you have the schematic of this one?

Thanks!
(I hope not being inconvenient...)

sdudley

Post by sdudley » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:26 pm

filipegaliza wrote:(I hope not being inconvenient...)
Don't worry... Brad doesn't mind! :mrgreen:

Stacy
Any time you deviate from sequential consistency, you increase the complexity of the problem by orders of magnitude.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:58 pm

The board you see in the project page is actually someone else's design. i lost my pcb design when I upgraded my laptop.

but here is the pic:

the very left component is a 74373, the top left is also a 74373, the next top one is the 16f648a microcontroller then the three to the right are all 74373 and finally the big one is the eprom.

CodfishCatfish

Post by CodfishCatfish » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:12 pm

Hi Brad is it me or is the project missing some nano Farad capacitors. There are 8 white blocks that look like caps. This is not mentioned in the parts list but seems to be implemented in the final design. Personally I'm waiting for the price for press n peel to go down before I make this project.
If you would be kind enough to post us a reply. Top project by the way, can't wait to put into action over the winter.
:D

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:29 pm

The circuit board that you see was made by an old forum member. I actually lost my design so he was kind enough to upload his.

The capacitors are optional, they are basically connected to vcc and gnd of every chip. you could use something like a 0.1uF capacitor and that would be fine - but it will still work without them. They are there to filter out high voltage spikes that can be caused due to the internal transistors of the TTL chips switching on and off.

I really should put them in but most of the time I don't...