What kind of lifestyle is required to learn Microcontrollers

Post here to teach people how to do something.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

What kind of lifestyle is required to learn Microcontrollers

Post by Chuckt » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:09 pm

What kind of lifestyle is required to learn Microcontrollers?

I remember in the Commodore 64 days, I started with the Commodore Programmer's Reference Guide and the Commodore Programmer's Reference Manual. I would practice one program or one command every day.

Then there were magazines like RUN, Compute! and Compute's Gazette that had programs, programming tips, and examples.

There were books.

I was a teenager and I would program every chance I got. I would hate homework because that meant I wouldn't have as much time on my computer. Those were fun days.

Then I got older. I come home from work and there is work around the house or I'm tired. There are activities like T-ball. I don't have as much time anymore. I keep hearing the word "Daddy".

What prevents me from getting a lot accomplished is that I need ventalation and space to solder. In the summer months, the air is on and I don't like going outside because it is too hot during a heatwave.

If it wasn't for the internet, I don't think I would have been involved in microcontrollers. Unless you find out through magazines, college or friends, where would you start?

What kind of lifestyle is required to learn microcontrollers or electronics?

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: What kind of lifestyle is required to learn Microcontrol

Post by brad » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:28 am

I have to rush off to work right now, but I really like this post and will respond once I get some time this afternoon :)

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:33 pm

I ask questions about what I need to know and people who know more than me offer supporting criticism which is never derogatory. One says I need to hit the books and another says I'm lacking background information to program these things while at the same time one of these companies is promoting their product as "Microcontrollers Made Easy" as you can program them in Basic, C or Assembly.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:27 pm

I have to say that it's all about starting from the very basics and then gradually building upon that foundation.

You can read as many books as you want, and go through plenty of tutorials but it really won't get you anywhere unless you do something for yourself - that's when it clicks!

You grab yourself a microcontroller and led and a resistor. program in some code that will turn the led on and off, get to understand what the code is doing - then experiment with it. Make the led stay on for longer, make it flash twice then stay off for a couple of seconds. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!

You don't need a great deal of time, you just need to make good use of your time, perhaps keep a simple log of what you have learned that day, write down your short comings. When you have a few spare minutes (maybe driving in your car) think about your projects and your code - how could you do something differently? how could you improve on your code?

Sometimes when driving to work I am running through things in my head and then I think "of course! that's it!" I figure out a solution to a problem without actually working on my project.

I have two kids and they certainly keep me busy - so it all comes down to making the most of what electronics time you do get :)