LED edge lit acrylic signs

Post here to let others know of a project you're working on.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

sdudley
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

LED edge lit acrylic signs

Post by sdudley » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:52 am

Question: What do you get when you try and laser etch one side of clear plexiglass?

Answer: A really cool (slightly burned) 3D glitter effect inside the plexiglass!
IMG_0512.JPG
IMG_0512.JPG (352.34 KiB) Viewed 32092 times
Lately I have been messing around with making some edge lit acrylic signs and I have been sandblasting them to get a frosted look on the glass. Unfortunately my air compressor is small and doesn't produce the real frosty look I am going for. The most recent sign I made is a prototype for the marketing department where I work (TriQuint Semiconductor). For this one I thought I would take it to work and see if I could use our laser marking machine to etch some really sharp lettering into the glass. I guess I need to experiment a little and find out how to make it work right. The good thing is, I didn't totally destroy the sign and it gave me a few ideas to experiment with.

They are relatively easy to make so maybe I will attempt to do a short tutorial or maybe even an instructable. The instructables I found for making them are not very well done, but they do show the basic concept.

Below are some pictures of this sign and another I made for a friend's band.
IMG_0499.JPG
IMG_0499.JPG (261.79 KiB) Viewed 32092 times
IMG_0500.JPG
IMG_0500.JPG (301.62 KiB) Viewed 32092 times
IMG_0444.JPG
IMG_0444.JPG (308.16 KiB) Viewed 32092 times
IMG_0441.JPG
IMG_0441.JPG (343.74 KiB) Viewed 32092 times
unlit...
IMG_0458.JPG
IMG_0458.JPG (352.79 KiB) Viewed 32092 times
By the way... They make AWESOME night lights! :mrgreen:

Stacy
Any time you deviate from sequential consistency, you increase the complexity of the problem by orders of magnitude.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: LED edge lit acrylic signs

Post by brad » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:06 pm

excellent! I'm glad you did a bit of a write up on these, Such a simple way to achieve such a cool effect :D

sdudley

Post by sdudley » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:47 am

Yes,

I am working on multi colored signs now. Hopefully I'll have something posted in a couple weeks (have to work on them when I get time).

Stacy
Any time you deviate from sequential consistency, you increase the complexity of the problem by orders of magnitude.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:00 pm

How will you seperate the colors? or will the flash different colors at different times?

sdudley

Post by sdudley » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:26 pm

Ahh...

That's an ancient Chinese secret! :P

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:10 pm

Well it's a good thing that you're an ancient China man :)

sdudley

Post by sdudley » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:59 pm

I just posted an instructable on this edge-lit acrylic stuff. If interested anyone can find it here:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Edge-Li ... ght-Light/

I just thought I would mention it here because Brad's website will show up in the "stats" and it's always cool to promote this site whenever possible! :wink:

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:05 am

Thanks Stacy!

Nice instructable by the way :)

sdudley

Post by sdudley » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:28 am

brad wrote:...Nice instructable by the way :)
Ahhh... but I am yet a rookie. Someday I will master the art of the Instructable! :twisted:

Although, I have only posted two instructables and both have been featured! WhooHooo! 8)

Stacy

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:47 pm

What do you mean someday? I think that day has been and gone!

sdudley

Post by sdudley » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:00 pm

brad wrote:What do you mean someday? I think that day has been and gone!
See there... I already missed my chance. BUMMER! :x

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:16 pm

No no, What I mean is - YOU'VE made it! you're the MAN!

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:06 am

Stacy, Nice work. With your experience in acrylic, do you think you can make a game pad that would hold up to some hard playing action? I think these buttons might work well with a thick game pad but I don't know how well acrylic would hold up. What do you think about it?

Push Button 33mm - Blue
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9178

Push Button 33mm - Green
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9179

Push Button 33mm - Yellow
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9180

Concave Button - Red
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9336

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:02 am

Hmm, perhaps some pretty thick acrylic would do the job?

sdudley

Post by sdudley » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:49 am

Hey Chuck,

I am curious when you say game pad, do you mean like a hand held or more like a full size arcade?

Either way acrylic should work great though. I work a lot with 1/4" acrylic and I am sure it would work fine for what you have in mind.

It will definitely hold up to the pounding but if it is a large area like a full size arcade, it may need to be thicker or have some support behind it.

Stacy