Wi-Fi with LED lights

Post here if it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Wi-Fi with LED lights

Post by Chuckt » Fri May 21, 2010 1:29 am

A house lamp can give your laptop 2 mb internet access. I think it is time to think as regular house lights as communication devices.

http://translate.google.com/translate?j ... h-CN&tl=en

It is time for some more blinky lights!

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by brad » Fri May 21, 2010 5:56 am

It's a great idea although you would need to have these LED's specially installed in every single room in your house (if you want internet access in there) or what about if you go outside with your laptop?

I wonder what the actual receiver module looks like? Maybe they could also have these built into laptops like they do with wifi?

It certainly would boost your level of security over having a home wifi setup.

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Fri May 21, 2010 6:58 am

You would have to worry about everyday light. I suppose you could use a specially trained 5mw laser but that may be dangerous to your eyesight and you would have to have a line of sight.

A better solution may be to use regular ir resistors that your tv remote control uses.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sat May 22, 2010 9:16 pm

He he, just imagine having dozens of lasers in your house - you'd have to wear sun glasses where ever you go!

Infrared would be a good idea, you would have to have loads of them so that you always have a good signal.

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Sun May 23, 2010 1:12 am

Brad,

I played laser tag at one of these facilities where I put on a vest and it had a lot of sensors. I always wondered before getting involved in electronics how they knew who shot who. They are transmitting data with modulation.

I think IR emitters are probably one of the most inexpensive ways to transmit a signal so if we knew someone going to an engineering school and they didn't have the money for a radio device, this would be a way for them to incorporate the idea / concept in a low cost way and still do something valuable with their product.

Chuck

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by brad » Sun May 23, 2010 10:26 pm

Speaking of laser tag, my church actually owns a laser tag business. I was thinking that it would be really cool to make some 'grenades' for it whereby you have a ball with loads of IR LED's facing out in all directions. you would then pull a pin out which would activate a timer (a few seconds) then you would throw it and after a few seconds it would send out a pulse in all directions, hitting multiple people (receivers) at once.

I think it would be very cheap and would make the game a little more fun :D