Millions of Home Routers Will Soon Be Hacked

Post here if it doesn't seem to fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Chuckt, Garth, bitfogav

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Millions of Home Routers Will Soon Be Hacked

Post by Chuckt » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:16 pm

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Router-Expl ... -7547.html
...a researcher from Maryland-based security consultancy Seismic plans to release a software tool that will hack into millions of routers used on home networks. The tool is expected to be made available during the upcoming Black Hat security conference in Las Vegas, and will have the ability to hack into routers manufactured by Linksys, Dell, Verizon (Fios, DSL) and more.

Apparently the tool uses a variation on a technique known as "DNS rebinding." It takes advantage of an age-old problem with the DNS system where websites balance traffic by offloading visitors to additional IP addresses. "There have been plenty of patches over the years, but this still hasn't really been fixed," said Craig Heffner, the researcher behind the hacking tool.

brad
Site Admin
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by brad » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:15 am

What can they then do if they hack your router? does it mean they can access your computer?

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:42 pm

Can they really do this if the router is password protected?

I suppose they get free Wifi.

It is possible that any trouble they cause on the net could be traced back to the router.

If they fool the security on the router, it is over.

Chuckt
I practically live here!
I practically live here!

Post by Chuckt » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:37 pm

I got an email today that Verizon reset the passwords on their routers from "Password" or "Admin" to the serial number. Apparently, they are taking it seriously.