Unfortunately this project did not work out as well as I had planned. I could not get it to do animations. It would happily display one individual frame but when I wanted it to scroll through a number of frames, I ran into all sorts of problems.
Having said that, I did come up with a semi-working display that could show static pictures. So have a read through and hopefully you will find something of interest.
Please note that I have not documented this project because it was never completed to a fully working condition.
The circuit design was very similar to my original 8×85 RGB POV except I just had to add some extra video ram to account for the extra LED’s and a larger microcontroller to handle the extra control lines.
The project was broken up into five separate boards.
Here you can see the underside of the power / sensor board. I transferred power to the board using the motor shaft as the ground connection and then a graphite brush and metal casing to transfer the +ve end of the power supply to the spinning board.
Here are a few photo’s from some of the pictures I drew for the display.